Manners set expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group.
- He was the mildest manner'd man
That ever scuttled ship or cut a throat.
- Manners must adorn knowledge, and smooth its way through the world. Like a great rough diamond, it may do very well in a closet by way of curiosity, and also for its intrinsic value; but it will never be worn, nor shine, if it is not polished.
- We ought to esteem him alone an agreeable and good-natured man, who, in his daily intercourse with others, behaves in such a manner as friends usually behave to each other. For as a person of that rustic character appears, wherever he comes, like a mere stranger: so, on the contrary, a polite man, wherever he goes, seems as easy as if he were amongst his intimate friends and acquaintance.
- A moral, sensible, and well-bred man
Will not affront me, and no other can.
- Etiquette...means behaving yourself a little better than is absolutely essential.
- Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy.
- Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices.
- Good manners without sincerity are like a beautiful dead lady.
- Ah, ah Sir Thomas, Honores mutant Mores.
Manners (Lord Rutland). To Sir Thomas More.
Not so, in faith, but have a care lest we translate the proverb and say, 'Honours change Manners.'
Answer of Sir Thomas More to Manners.
- Eye nature's walks, shoot folly as it flies,
And catch the manners, living as they rise;
Laugh where we must, be candid where we can,
But vindicate the ways of God to man.
- The essence of good manners consists in making it clear that one has no wish to hurt. When it is clearly necessary to hurt, it must be done in such a way as to make it evident that the necessity is felt to be regrettable.
- Manners consist in pretending that we think as well of others as of ourselves. Manners are necessary because, as a rule, there is a pretence; when our good opinion of others is genuine, manners look after themselves.
Perhaps instead of teaching manners, parents should teach the statistical probability that the person you are speaking to is just as good as you are. It is difficult to believe this; very few of us do, in our instincts, believe it. One's own ego seems so incomparably more sensitive, more perceptive, wiser and more profound than other people's. Yet there must be very few of whom this is true, and it is not likely that oneself is one of those few. There is nothing like viewing oneself statistically as a means both to good manners and to good morals.
- Politeness is the art of choosing among one's real thoughts.
- Abel Stevens, Life of Mme. de Staël.
- Be not deceived: Evil communications corrupt good manners.
- All Politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision. To restrain this, is inevitably to bring a Rust upon Mens Understandings.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 493-94.
- Nobody ought to have been able to resist her coaxing manner; and nobody had any business to try. Yet she never seemed to know it was her manner at all. That was the best of it.
- Fine manners need the support of fine manners in others.
- Das Betragen ist ein Spiegel in welchem jeder sein Bild zeigt.
- Translation: Behavior is a mirror in which every one shows his image.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Die Wahlverwandtschaften, II, 5, Aus Ottiliens Tagebuche.
- The mildest manners with the bravest mind.
- Homer, The Iliad, Book XXIV, line 963. Pope's translation.
- My lords, we are vertebrate animals, we are mammalia! My learned friend's manner would be intolerable in Almighty God to a black beetle.
- We call it only pretty Fanny's way.
- "What sort of a doctor is he?" "Well, I don't know much about his ability; but he's got a very good bedside manner."
- Punch, March 15, 1884, accompanying a drawing by G. Du Maurier.
- Quæ fuerant vitia mores sunt.
- What once were vices, are now the manners of the day.
- Seneca the Younger, Epistolæ Ad Lucilium, XXXIX.
- Ecrivez les injures sur le sable,
Mais les bienfaits sur le marbre.
- Write injuries in dust,
But kindnesses in marble.
- French saying.
- Write injuries in dust,
- Her manners had not that repose
Which stamps the caste of Vere de Vere.
- Ut homo est, ita morem geras.
- Suit your manner to the man.
- Terence, Adelphi, III. 3. 78.
- Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit.
- Obsequiousness begets friends; truth, hatred.
- Terence, Andria, I. 1. 41.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Good manners are very necessary to have for a person in order to live a happy, disciplined and peaceful life as well as get success in any field. Teachers generally assign their students to write something (paragraph, short essay or long essay) on good manners in the classroom during class tests or exam. It is a nice topic which can help students to be aware of all the good manners as well as encourage them to inculcate such manners. So, we have provided here various paragraphs, short essays and long essays on good manners under different word limits. You can select any of the good manners paragraph or good manners essay according to your need and requirement.
Essay on Good Manners
Good Manners Essay 1 (100 words)
Good manner means having polite or well-bred social behavior by the people. Having good manners in life matters a lot for living a social life. It should be inculcated especially in children from childhood. Behaving in well or bad manner is the most important part of the human nature and life. Good manners help us in getting respect and dignity in the society whereas bad manners defame us. Good manners help us to develop good habits which improve the physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being (thus overall development of the society) of person. A well behaving man, having all the good manners, is becomes the important citizen in the society as he never hurts the feelings of others.
Good Manners Essay 2 (150 words)
Good manner is the well behaving manner of the person which adds good impression on others as well as gives good feeling and confidence about oneself. Practicing good manners is very important for all of us and it is good if we do it from childhood with the help of parents and guardians. We must follow all the good manners whether we are at home, school, college, office, tourist places, or with friends.
Good manners are more than opening doors and writing thank you notes. Being polite and courteous to others shows our real behavior, thinking and mind level. It attracts people’s mind and attention if they get respect from us. Being a well behaved person, we set a standard for others too which encourage them to practice good manner and behave well. It is not easy to follow all the good manners for everyone however can be easily followed after practicing well.
Good Manners Essay 3 (200 words)
Man is considered as the most intelligent creation of God on the earth as he lives in the society as well as he has capacity to think, talk and act accordingly. So, he must know how to behave well and practice good manners to behave well with others in the society. Parents must teach their kids how should they behave with family members, neighbors, teachers, etc and respect the views of others. Being a well behaved person, one must be polite, gentle, disciplined, and sweet. Some people behave well with sweet words only in front but behind they talk bad, that is not the good manner.
Good manners help a person to show the same character; both, in front and behind of people. The words and behavior of a good mannered person never changes and remain same in all conditions. Well mannered people know well that how to show or explain the bitter truth with sweet words. People, who lack good manners generally, have sharp and clever tongue. Bad people always behave roughly and abuse others without any reason. They never hesitate to behave badly in the society. They show that they lack a good culture, society and discipline, thus they hated everywhere. And good mannered people are honored everywhere.
Good Manners Essay 4 (250 words)
Good manner can be defined as behaving well with courtesy and politeness to show correct public behaviour to the people living in society. Some of the good manners are like polite, courteous, humble, respectful and well-cultured social behavior found in some people. Any of the men or women is distinguished and recognized in the society by his/her good manners. A person is known in the society not only for his intelligence but also for his behavior and manners.
Importance of Good Manners in our Life
Good manners are very important in our daily and every parent must teach their children the good manners and importance of them in life. Good manners are required to create an effective interaction with friends as well as make a good impression on them. It helps us to remain positive throughout the day. We must use the magic words like “sorry”, “please”, “thank you”, “excuse me”, etc whenever required without getting late in order to maintain a happy relationship. Parents must help their kids to essentially practice such words to behave well in everyday life. These words show the feeling of sorry, happy, appreciation and respect to the people.
Good manner open the door to new conversation with people and opportunities in life. If someone talks to you with rudeness, don’t talk him in his way, just talk him in your way of behaving well as rudeness creates rudeness.
Practicing good manners is necessary to be a great and noble personality in the society. It maintains the positivity in our soul and mind. Our good behavior shows our ideal force of character. We should show respect and reverence to people to create positive interaction.
Good Manners Essay 5 (300 words)
Good manners are very necessary in life as they help us to behave well in the society with people as well as help us to maintain smooth, easy and positive relationship. Good manners help us to win the heart of people in the crowd and give us a unique personality. Good manner makes us person of pleasing and obeying nature which is genuinely loved and appreciated by all in the society.
What are Good Manners
A person with good manners shows respects towards feelings and sentiments of people living around. He/she never differentiates people and shows equal regard and kindness to everyone whether elder or younger than him. Modesty and courtesy are the essential traits of a well behaving person. He/she never feel proud or arrogant and always take care of the feelings of other people. Practicing good manners and following them all through the day bring sunshine and add qualities to the life. He/she always becomes mentally happy as good manners enrich his/her personality.
Teaching good manners to all the students is a boon to them and country from parents and teachers as they are the bright future. Lack of good manners among youths of the country lead them at the wrong path. Practicing good manners cost nothing but pay us a lot all through the life. Some of the good manners are like:
- Thank you: we must say thank you whenever we receive anything from someone.
- Please: we must say please while requesting for something to others.
- We should always support people who are in pain.
- We should always accept the mistakes and say sorry without hesitation.
- We should be disciplined and punctual in daily life.
- We should always compliment others for their good behaviour and qualities.
- We must listen to people very attentively who are talking to us.
- We should take permission before touching or using the things of someone else.
- We should always respond with a smile to other’s questions.
- We should never interrupt between the meetings of elders and must wait for our turn.
- We must be respectful to the elders (whether in family, relationship or neighbors), parents and teachers.
- Excuse me: we must say excuse me while getting attention for something.
- We must knock the door before entering to other’s home or bedroom.
Good manners are vital to us for getting popularity and success in life as nobody likes a mischief person. Good manners are like tonic to the people living in society as practicing them take nothing but benefits a lot whole life. People with polite and pleasant nature are always asked by the large number of people as they put magnetic influence over them. Thus, we must practice and follow good manners.
Good Manners Essay 6 (400 words)
Good manner is very significant to the people living in society. People can be benefited from the good manners in many ways at home, school, office or other places. People with good manners must have courtesy, politeness and respect to others and themselves too. Good manner is all which we behave well with others with humble respect. Bad behaviour never gives happy feelings to self and others. Just think that how sad and disrespected we will feel when someone is talking to our friend and turning his back to us.
Good mannered people are always liked and get respect and fame in the society as they behave well in same manner with all (good or bad). They consider the feelings of other people and always become kind. Teachers teach the lesson of good manners to their students in the classroom and instruct them to follow all that at all places forever. Parents also should help their kids at home to learn good manners properly as what kids learn in their childhood carry all through the life. We must first behave to others like what we wish in return from others. According to the Golden Rule “We should treat people the way we would like other people to treat us”. If we treat people with respect, we too will be treated in the same way by them.
Following good manners everywhere we go, we can better encourage people to behave well in the same manner to everyone. Some of the important good manners we can practice in our daily life are like:
- We must learn the habit of sharing (but not grabbing) things to others.
- We should be helpful, polite and humble to others at all places.
- We must use ‘sorry’, ‘please’, ‘thank you’, ‘excuse me’ and ‘time wish’ whenever required.
- We must respect the property of others and always take permission before using.
- We must help our family members in completing their chores.
- We must be responsible and self dependent for everything whether at home or outside the home.
- We must behave well with humble respect to our teachers, parents, other elders and senior citizens.
- We should not interfere between elder’s talk and must wait for our turn.
- We should hold the door open when someone is coming in and must hold his/her load if he/she is carrying something.
- We should maintain cleanliness at home, school, and all other public places.
- We should not use offensive language to others at home or public place.
- We must leave the seat for senior citizens while using public transport.
- We should never make fun of anyone as everyone has feelings and respect.
- We should not use mobile phone unnecessarily while being in group or public place.
- We should chew food properly and don’t talk to anyone while eating.
Following good manners not only increase the respect in people’s mind but also make us pleasant from inside. It creates the good impression in society, school, sports team, friends group and family. Life becomes much more pleasant day by day. Practicing good manners take nothing but give much more all through the life. We must practice good manners as well as encourage others to practice for the welfare of oneself, family, society and nation.
Paragraph on Good Manners