How many of you classified your lecturers in accordance with your likes and dislikes. Sometimes, you may wish to classify your teachers to convince your parents that all of them are excellent mentors. What is the basis of classification that is used? Why do you classify them? How did you determine the various mentors? Your basis of classification could be lecture methods, type of work required, techniques used in teaching or professional qualifications. The introduction of a classification essay must create an environment for and the importance of the classification.
What are Division and Classification Essay?Back to Top
Classification is a method of writing an essay by arranging persons, things, articles, thoughts or ideas with collective features into specific classes or sets. Classification is a method of inquiry that studies various objects and then assembles them according to mutual individualities. A classification or division essay groups objects, people, or actions into types by the characteristics that they share. Usually the writer begins with an array of people or things and then divides them into subcategories or categories.In short, a classification essay is where a writer arranges, organizes, classifies, or sorts, things into categories
Three Steps to Effective Classification:
- Categorize things into useful classifications
- Make sure all the categories shadow a single unifying standard opinion
- Give examples and instances that is apt for each category
A classification essay takes a set of things and breaks it down in one of the ways:
The essay breaks the topic down into component parts that make the topic whole.
Example: Three important parts of a bike are the engine, the suspension, and the body.
The essay breaks the topic down into the main types of the subject.
Example: Three main types of bikes on the road today are sports bikes, cruiser, and roadster.
The essay describes important features or characteristics of the subject.
Example: Important features of a cruiser are color, high speed, and an attractive
Division is a method of study and group that studies a single element or a single type of element by splitting it into its component parts. As a result of such division, writer and audience understand
- the parts
- the relationship of the parts to each other
- the relation of the parts to the whole item
- the whole item
Example of a Classification EssayBack to Top
Classification can be used to describe a subject. For example, you can describe a concept (like a bad student) by splitting it into the features (lethargic, uncreative, and ignorant), and then define or give instances of each characteristic.
Introduction - States thesis
Body - Classifies, in separate paragraphs, the various categories, with examples
Conclusion - Paraphrases the categories of the thesis and, significance or stresses the value of this classification system
A classification or division essay takes what you studied about using examples in the illustration essay and relates those examples more definitely to a thesis. In other words, examples must be used that which determines the method of the composition: either how ideas or things may be gathered into categories by classifying or how an idea or thing may be separated into parts by dividing. Example:
- Hip hop
- Rhythm and Blues
Writing an Effective Division or Classification EssayBack to Top
Steps to write an effective classification or division essay are as follows:
- Introduction - States thesis
- Body - Reduces the parts, in separate paragraphs, with examples and with transitions to provide a sense of connection
- Conclusion - Reaffirms the parts of the thesis and the significance, attempts a new understanding of the integral parts
1. Create a subject
Select at topic that has a wide-ranging combination that can be classified or divided into subdivisions or classifications.
2. Determine the categories
Be thorough and don't leave out a critical category.
3. Present a clear thesis
The thesis must inform the reader of the subject about the essay and ascertain the categories or sets.
4. Classify by a single norm
Once you have categories, ensure that they fit into the same organizing opinion.
5. Support similarly each category with examples
Give the same number of examples, for each category.
6. Follow an organizational outline
An outline of the clusters and their individualities including specific details that form a basis will help write a logical classification essay.
7. Use transitions
Transitional words help the reader follow the groupings, set or collection.
8. Lure a conclusion
Reiterate the thesis and reach a conclusion regarding the group and subgroup. Conclusions for classification essays offer a chance for originality, creativity including humor or an endorsement.
Classification Essay OutlineBack to Top
- In the introduction, has the subject been clearly identified and the purpose of classifying in doing so?
- Has the opening sentences of the essay, provided the kinds of details that will evoke readers' curiosity in the topic?
- Has the particular type, style, or approach briefly explained where each body paragraph is identified and begins with a topic sentence?
- Is there adequate support for each topic sentence with specific informative and vivid details?
- Has logical plan in spacing the body paragraphs in the essay followed?
- Have clear distinctions between and among the different types, styles, or approaches made?
- Has unnecessary or repetitious information eliminated?
- Have clear transitions used in order to link the points and guide readers from one point to the next?
- In the conclusion, has the value of the classification highlighted or commended one type, style, or approach over the others?
- Are the sentences all through the essay clear and direct in length and structure?
- Could any sentences be improved by linking or restructuring them?
- Does the essay maintain a consistent tone with clear and precise words?
Classification Essay TopicsBack to Top
- Classification of historical events in US
- Countries classification (territory, popularity, etc)
- Sport Cars Classification
- Most Popular TV Shows in India
- Children-parents relations;
- Students and their study habits
- Christmas gifts
- Halloween costumes
- Reality shows on television
- Dancing styles
- Ways of boring people
- Attitudes toward money
- Television comedies
- Attitudes toward politics
- Most annoying songs
Classification essays rank the groups of objects according to a common standard. For example, popular inventions may be classified according to their significance to the humankind.
Classification is a convenient method of arranging data and simplifying complex notions.
When you select a topic, do not forget about the length of your paper. Choose the topic you will be able to cover in your essay, do not write about something global or general.
Consider these examples:
- Evaluate the best to worst methods of upbringing.
- Rate the films according to their influence on people.
- Classify careers according to the opportunities they offer.
You should point out the common classifying principle for the group you are writing about. It will become the thesis of your essay.
It is important for you to use clear method of classification in your essay, especially when you are dealing with subjective categories such as "quality" or "benefit". Make sure you explain what you mean by this term.
To organize a classification essay, the writer should:
- categorize each group.
- describe or define each category. List down the general characteristics and discuss them.
- provide enough illustrative examples. An example should be a typical representative of the group.
- point out similarities or differences of each category, using comparison-contrast techniques.